Your “About Me” page is an introduction about you. As you get more comfortable, it becomes an opportunity to express who you are and share the things you like to do. Your blog is where you can share your growth and experiences of Digital Learning at Terry Fox Secondary. As you customize this page DELETE the INSTRUCTIONS so that only your work is published and when you share this page, share the published page (not the edit page).
How to Complete Your About Me Page
To familiarize yourself with the capabilities of your blog, follow the steps below. These steps will guide you to becoming more comfortable working with your blog and help you learn important digital skills.
To begin editing your About Me page, click “Edit Page” button located at the top of the screen.
As you make changes to your page, simply press “Update” on the upper far right side of the page (blue button).
Keep the headings on the first four tasks on your About Me page for each of the tasks below.
1) Meaningful Quote:
Find your favourite quote, or one that is meaningful to you. Copy and paste it, or type it into your page. Explain why you chose it, and remember to record who said it! Check out the tool bar and try different fonts and sizes. Click on the toolbar toggle icon to show more tool bar options.
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln: i chose this quote because i think it speaks volumes on todays society, people are too worried about whats happening around the an not busy enough worrying about what lies ahead
2) Favourite Video:
Find your favourite (and appropriate) YouTube clip and embed it into your blog. Explain why you chose it.
The easiest way to place a YouTube clip on your blog is to find a video you like (aim to choose a video that is under 5 minutes in length), copy the URL of the video, and paste the URL exactly where you want it on your page. If the video box does not appear (embedded) then space out your text before you paste the URL of the video.
Here’s an example of an embedded video:
this is very inspiring photo, this dog always wanted to fly, and look at him now! part of the German Airforce. this is a constant reminder to me that if a dog can learn to fly, i can learn to be a good and civil human being
If you have a picture saved on your computer already, simply go to the Add Media button located on the top of the page, and follow the steps to upload your picture. If you have Googled an image, click on the image, then click the ‘View Image’ button, then copy the URL, and either add the URL in the Add Media button or paste it into your blog.
For more detailed information on how to insert images click here
4) Create a Hyperlink:
Create a hyperlink to a website that is important to you. Explain why you chose this hyperlink.
What is a hyperlink? It is text that you can click, and when you click it, it takes you to a website. To hyperlink text or pictures to a website, find a website URL, copy the URL, then simply highlight the word/words or select the picture you would like to hyperlink to, and press ctrl + v (paste). This will attach the copied web URL to the text. You can also use the chain link button located in the tool bar above. Just select some text, click the link and paste the URL into the space provided. When you are happy with it, click Apply.
For more detailed information how to create a hyperlink click here
5) Self Assessment: Find the self-assessment under your About Me Page Assignment in Microsoft Teams and download it. Complete the assessment and embed the document at the bottom of your About Me Page. Click on the following button at the top of this editing box –
Click on Upload Document then find the Self-Assessment Document you edited. After choosing it, click on the blue select button in the bottom right. You should see some coded text in the space where you wanted the document to appear. Click on update and preview changes to see the embedded document on your page.
6) Blog Theme:
Personalize your blog. Click on Appearance -> Themes, located on the left-hand side of the screen. Choose a theme that you prefer, and apply it. If you notice that your menus have disappeared, please ask your Digital Learning teacher to help you bring them back or proceed to number 6 below. Please make sure that your design is thoughtful and able to be read easily. Check out the preview before submitting your final version to Microsoft Teams.
7) Delete Extra Instructional Text (after you have read through the final instructions):
Please delete any instructional text that was here before you started editing. Remember this is your page, so make it your own! Publish only work that you have added, typed, uploaded or pasted here.
8) Submit your Blog Link to Microsoft Teams:
Copy the URL link to your published About Me Page and submit it to your Digital Learning teacher through Microsoft Teams. Remember, this current editing page is not your published page, you want to either select the permalink above this text editing area or highlight the URL (https://…) when you are viewing the public page.
OPTIONAL HOW TO: Customize – Tasks (delete all this when done too)
1) Blog Appearance:
If you would like to personalize the appearance of your blog. Click on Appearance -> Customize, located on the left hand side of the screen.
2) Site Identity – This is where you can edit the title of your blog. Please choose an appropriate title, that does not have both your first and last name in it. You can also edit your tagline. Your tagline is a very short sentence that gives the viewer a snapshot
3) Colours – Edit the colour scheme of your blog.
4) Header Image – This is where you can add and change the picture that is being used in your header.
5) Background Image – This is where you can adjust your background image.
6) Menus – You can create multiple menu structures. For simplicity, lets stick to 1. Make sure you select Menu Location -> Primary Menu -> About Me. Then click Save. This will ensure your menu stays the same, even after adjusting the theme.
7) Widgets – Locate and see all the widgets on your blog.
8) Static Front Page – Front Home Page Display is set to -> Static Page and Front Page is set to -> About Me