Here at Terry Fox Secondary, we are excited to embark on an educational journey to meet the new B.C. curriculum standards. To achieve these standards, we will be integrating digital literacy skills into classes and flex to streamline the process. As well as the new core competency goals students will be learning about online blogging, cyber-bullying recognition and prevention, what it means to be a Digital Citizen and other useful concepts and tools to aid them in the thriving technological world of today.
The following is a list of digital learning academic competencies integrated into our classes:
Digital Tools and Skills
- Build digital skills using Office 365 applications, WordPress and other content creation platforms.
- Use and become familiar with a variety of different presentation platforms (audio, video, written).
- Demonstrate skills essential for safety in the digital world; personal privacy, privacy of others etc.
- Express personal views and perspectives of themselves as an online author
Digital Critical and Creative Thinking
- Analyze a task, need or goal and determine whether social networking is required/advantageous
- Sharing information and working collaboratively
- Participate in online discussions in a value-added manner – reinforcing not repeating, constructive and thoughtful criticism and feedback, offering new information and alternate perspectives
- Reporting information online in a thoughtful manner
- Organize, evaluate, analyze and synthesize learning via a digital portfolio
- Evaluate the authenticity and reliability of information and use the most appropriate format to share findings